Flag of Poland
The flag of Poland was introduced in 1919 and since 1997 it is regulated as a state symbol by the Polish Constitution. Since 2004, a Flag Day is celebrated in Poland on May 2.
Description of the Polish Flag
The national flag of Poland is a horizontally bipartite flag in white and red. The national flag used on official occasions also features the Polish national coat of arms in the center of the white stripe. The shade of red was not initially specified after the flag was introduced in 1919. It was not until 1921 that the Ministry of Military Affairs published the brochure "Coat of Arms and Flag of the Republic of Poland", in which purple was specified. In 1928, however, the President of Poland insisted that vermilion was the correct hue. This color was kept until 1980, when the Polish Parliament fixed the colors of the flag to red on January 31, 1980, according to the standards of the International Commission on Illumination.
History of the Polish Flag
The white eagle has been the symbol of Poland since the beginning of the 13th century. Combined with the red escutcheon, it has laid the foundation for many flags and ensigns of the country and its rulers.
From 1815, the former Duchy of Warsaw existed as Congress Poland in personal union with the Russian Empire. This was also evident in the flag. The white Polish eagle was in the gösch on a red background on a white flag with the blue St. Andrew's cross, the symbol of Tsarist Russia. This flag remained until 1918.
Already during the November Uprising of 1830/31, Poles used the now familiar white and red flag. During the January Uprising of 1863, a coat of arms was added to the white stripe.
The present flag was officially introduced on August 1, 1919. When it was introduced, it could be distinguished from the old Czechoslovak flag only by the aspect ratio, but the latter was changed in 1920.
During the German occupation during World War II, the Polish Home Army used the white and red flag with the addition of the so-called Kotwica. After the war, the old national flag was restored on March 20, 1956.